Great Satan's chronic chronicaliers chronicles a crunk bit about Great Satans benevolent hegemony in the New Millennium
"...Americans rightly lack an imperial mentality. But lessening our engagement with the world would have devastating consequences for humanity. The disruptions we witness today are but a taste of what is to come should our country flinch from its international responsibilities.
"...Currency wars. Terrorist attacks. Military conflicts. Rogue regimes pursuing nuclear weapons. Collapsing states. And now, massive leaks of secret documents. What is the cause of such turbulence?
"...The absence of empire."
Dr K's piece highlights the dilemma facing certain cats in Great Satan's diplopolititary craft. Either manage a somewhat graceful decline of American Power as state and non state actor outers devour their neighbors (with attendent genocide, gendercide, intolerance and unenlightenment - natch!)
Or, strive to unbind Great Satan and allow her to remain, maintain and increase her hyper power stats and world imperium.
Unaussprechlichen, bitte - in a crazy, crunk and disorderly world with an absent Great Satan - please be sure to note the primary targets will be fun and free choice societies. After all - tolerant, egalitarian places with penchants for transparent elections and free press function like kryptonite in Smallville.
"...If the Cold War was an epoch of relative stability, guaranteed by a tacit understanding among empires, we now have one waning empire, that of the United States, trying to bring order amid a world of rising and sometimes hostile powers.
"...Looming over all of this is the densely crowded global map. Across Eurasia, rural populations have given way to megacities prone to incitement by mass media and to destruction by environmental catastrophe. Lumbering, hard-to-deploy armies are being replaced with overlapping ballistic missile ranges that demonstrate the delivery capabilities of weapons of mass destruction.
"...New technologies make everything affect everything else at a faster and more lethal rate than ever before. The free flow of information, as the WikiLeaks scandal makes clear, and the miniaturization of weaponry, as the terrorist bombings in Pakistani cities make clear, work against the rise and sustenance of imperial orders.
"....The American empire has always been more structural than spiritual. Its network of alliances certainly resembles those of empires past, and the challenges facing its troops abroad are comparable to those of imperial forces of yore, though the American public, especially after the debacles in Iraq and Afghanistan, is in no mood for any more of the land-centric adventures that have been the stuff of imperialism since antiquity.
The challenge is not so new - indeed - thanks to the Vulcans and their spiritual enablers and fellow travelers - the gig remains the same:
▪ Pursue the "military-technological revolution" to preserve its superiority in the latest weapons systems (e.g., smart munitions)
▪ Sustain the "forward" presence of Great Satan's ground, air, and naval forces in strategically important areas, to validate commitments, and to provide a capability to respond to crises affecting significant interests, such as freedom of the seas and access to markets and energy supplies
▪ Preserve a smaller but diverse "mix" of survivable nuclear forces to support a global role, validate security guarantees, and deter Chinese/Russian/Iranian nuclear forces. This may mean encouraging sister democrazies in rough hoods - like Nippon, Soko and Taiwan to develop a new clear ambiguity - kinda like Little Satan's.
▪ Field a missile defense system as a shield against accidental missile launches or limited missile strikes by "international outlaws"
▪ Maintain a capability to reconstitute military forces in the event a regional hegemon threatens to become a global threat
▪ Find ways to integrate the "new democrazies" into a hot! Great Satan-led system
▪ Work with allies in NATO, Europe, Little Satan and elsewhere yet be totally ready to act out unilaterally or with only a few other nations when multilateral and cooperative action proves too "sluggish" to protect vital interests.
Pic - "Every threat to internat’l order after Cold War involved a gov that fell short of Western and economic standards. Every security problem that Great Satan felt called upon to address would be alleviated, if not solved altogether, if the regimes responsible for them could be remade to American specs"